Monday, March 19, 2007

Films In Boston (Part III)


I promise to give richer posts to the one's that follow. Nevertheless, this is the end of the trilogy. And, we end on an up note. Music and Lyrics is, yes, a lighthearted romantic romp about a washed-up '80's pop star and the amateur lyricist who reignites his career and his heart.

The casting sold me on this. I enjoy Hugh Grant in just about anything he's in. Yes, his range is fairly limited to the dry and droll - but he does it so well. If you enjoyed him as the Prime Minister who dances through Number 10 Downing to the Pointer Sisters in Love Actually, then imagine him recreating Wham!-style dance moves - and songs! Yes, Grant does his own singing; I thought he was dubbed, but I was wrong. Also, I've always enjoyed Drew Barrymore, though I can't recall the last pic of hers I'd actually seen.

The movie's unappologetically light - and what's wrong with that? Yes, that's coming from me, the guy who typically bemoans the lack of substance and meaning. Sometimes it's just enough to see two people on screen simply having a good time performing. This is one of those times. I eagerly await a DVD release, as there's sure to be all sorts of supplements pertaining to Pop! - Grant's fictional '80's band. The movie starts and ends with the ultimate send-up of MTV's early days, a music video whose budget must have been in the hundreds of dollars. Hoping for more on the aforementioned DVD.

1 comment:

Dan Wilson said...

I need to loan you An Awfully Big Adventure, which came out shortly before Hugh Grant became famous and pigeonholed as a charming in somewhat flustered nice guy. The man has greater range, if people let him do it.