Thursday, April 26, 2007

You Try Stuffing Spider-Man #252 Into Your Computer

I consider myself a recovering packrat. Used to be that I would save everything that meant something to me at one time or another - movie memorabilia, vhs tapes, old paperbacks that I read in the '80's. While I'm not completely reformed - I still have some representatives from each of those categories - I really can't be bothered to stockpile anymore. I attribute this partly to having moved three times in the last two years, partly to not wanting to live in a museum, no matter how personal.

If you share in both my level of struggling minimalism and geekiness, then the following might be of interest: Rolling Stone and Marvel Comics are each putting out portions of their back catalogue on DVD.

Marvel has eight different titles available - including Amazing Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk, and the Avengers - most of which include every issue published to the date of the DVD issue. As most of these comics got their start in the early '60's, we're talking over 40 years of issues. Prices average around $40. As any comic aficionado knows, that's a steal. Oh, and if you insist on having your comics in the paper form, every issue can be printed out in the comfort of your own home.

Not to be outdone, Rolling Stone has announced that - in celebration of the magazine's fortieth anniversary - it will release Rolling Stone Cover-to-Cover: The First 40 Years, a DVD set that will feature every interview, article, and picture ever printed in the magazine. Added coolness: the entire database will be searchable. This DVD is expected to drop in the Fall with a slightly higher pricetag than the Marvel collections - $119.99. Of course, that's the MSRP. Costco, Amazon, and Christmas shopping prices will likely shave that down a bit. Is it too early to talk about Christmas?

No comments: