Thursday, August 2, 2007

Amazing Trailers:
The Usual Suspects

I am a major fan of quality movie trailers. And by quality I mean that they set a mood, hint at a good story, and tease me with just enough. I do not consider the bulk of the trailers issued today to be of this quality. Far too many tell you the whole story and/or show you all the big set pieces, leaving you with no surprises when the time comes to see the whole picture. I'm even a fan of those excellent trailers whose actual movie turns out to be a dud. (Again, I'm looking at you Fountain.)

So, today I am inaugurating an ongoing series here at Mediacopia 2.0 that will focus on these trailers of note. I decided to launch us with the trailer for The Usual Suspects because back when it was released - the trailer, not the film - no one had any idea what it was about, no one knew it would be such a hit, and no one had heard of Kaiser Soze. I remember seeing this in the theatre and thinking it might actually be a heist film with a religious/supernatural element. I was hooked. I suppose that would be the subtitle for this series: Films that really hooked me with their trailers.

1 comment:

Anne said...

my new favorite trailer of all time, even though I hear the movie actually sucks, is for 'The Ten'. I've never laughed SO HARD when the cast was being read out. =) ok, not the best reason for loving a trailer, but still. =)