Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Music Videos: The Next Generation?

This is actually something that has puzzled me for a while now. You know, back in the dusty, warehouse regions of my noggin. With the insane proliferation of Hollywood remakes on the big screen year round, why not music video remakes?

I'm not talking about up-and-coming bands covering songs and videos from yesteryear. I mean, just the videos themselves. It just seems like such an obvious thing to do that I can't believe it hasn't happened yet. And I'm not talking about parodies, either. "Weird Al" locked that up over two decades ago.

For example, imagine a shot-for-shot remake of Duran Duran's epic "Hungry Like the Wolf", but featuring Linkin Park and one of their songs. Or perhaps Fergie or Kelly Clarkson in Madonna's "Borderline". Or even a redux of Peter Gabriel's "Shock the Monkey", featuring Justin Timberlake.

Now, I'm certainly not endorsing this course of action. Honestly, I think that if I even caught wind of any of the above examples coming to light I might have to take drastic measures. I'm simply pointing out that - in a society chock full o' movie remakes and cover songs - how anybody missed this is beyond me. (And, yes, I am aware that 95% of hip-hop music videos are remakes of each other. They don't count.)

No comments: