Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Bring On Summer '08

This last year or so, I haven't had much interest in films. And those that did seem to hold promise turned out to be real letdowns. I'm looking at you, Fountain. While this disinterest hasn't kept me away from the movie theatre, I've found that I'm less and less waiting in anticipation for any releases, so much so that I'll see a trailer for something and think, "Well, I didn't know he/she was in such-and-such." Those who've known me for a while should see how that flies in the face of expectations; I've regularly been the guy who could tell you right now what the big holiday pics would be. Honestly, right now I couldn't tell you one movie that's slated for fall.

All of this said, I just realized yesterday that for the first time in, well, ages, I'm looking forward to a batch of Summer films. Not this Summer, mind you. I didn't bother with The Pirate Movie or The Ogre Movie. No, I'm talking about next Summer. As of now - and without digging into the advance recon available at the IMDB - I know of four films that will automatically have my money in 2008:

Indiana Jones and the Rocking Chair of Eternal Youth: Or somesuch title. Yes, I'm in harmony with those nay-sayers who bemoan making another film in this franchise, owing both to the fact that Harrison Ford is older now than when Sean Connery played his dad in the last installment, as well as to the opinion that Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade actually wrapped up the trilogy nicely and for the ages. But, with all of that weight front-loaded, I'm still excited to see what they'll pull off this time. Even if there's only one moment in a scene where that character lives and breathes again, then I can nod and smile.

The Dark Knight: Batman Begins wasn't only a good superhero movie, it was a good movie. And, with the same people involved behind and in front of the camera - except for the I-sure-as-hell-won't-miss-'ems Katie Holmes and schlock writer David Goyer (blame any weak ass dialogue in the first film on him) - this bodes well. I think Heath Ledger is an inspired choice to play The Joker, and I can't wait to see what he does with it.

Iron Man: I've already gushed about this picture here. Suffice to say that even if it was just Robert Downey, Jr. strutting around in a tux spouting pithy dialogue, they'd have my money. Now, add a bunch of comic book action and a badass looking suit of red and gold....

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army: The first Hellboy is certainly flawed, but it's also gorgeous, clever, and very different from most comic adaptations. Truthfully, I was surprised when I first heard that they would make a sequel. Though the first film did okay box office, it didn't set the world on fire. That said, apparently there were enough supporters to warrant another go-round, and we shall be all the luckier for it. For anyone out there who enjoyed at least the look and style of Pan's Labyrinth, director Guillermo Del Toro also helmed the first Hellboy and this coming sequel.

Honestly. I can't recall the last time I looked forward to a batch of Summer movies this much....

1 comment:

NICOLAS P. VILLARREAL said...

What do you mean? you dont like Harrison's shirt??? if I would have that shirt I wouldnt change it in 10 years.....I guess thats what he did huh


....stop killing me on C of D