Saturday, July 14, 2007

Star Wars Sound Redesign Project

Yes, I know, I need to get off this youtube kick, but this thing has just stuck with me so I'm sharing it. I could tell you the gist, but the original description nails it:
This is a scene from Star Wars which has had its soundtrack completely rebuilt from scratch by myself. Following a teacher's challenge, every sound effect in the scene was created by manipulating (either in Soundforge, Goldwave, or both) the yell that Han exclaims when he hits the first TIE Fighter, which occurs at about 1:35 into the video. Simultaneously I also became interested in examining how music alters the feel of a scene, and in that spirit I created several different versions with music that evoked different sorts of moods or feelings. I would also like to point out that the reason Leia has a man's voice is that the dialogue was recorded in small groups, and ours had no women.
I originally stumbled upon this as I was looking for stuff on Bernard Herrmann, no less. If you'd like to select from the complete list of experiments, click here. However, this is my personal favorite:

No comments: